Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends! Chinese New Year/Famous Games from Greece/Black History Fun Facts/ Presidents!
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Native American Webquest
Gail Skroback Hennessey
An overview of different Native American tribes,famous Native Americans in history, and contributions of Native Americans in arts, government, language and more!
1. Native American were the original settlers to North America. What is the term for the first people to live in an area?___________
How did the native americans get the name, "Indian"?____________________________ Since many Native Americans didn't record their history,what are two ways in which we have learned about their cultures?___________________and________________ Find the answers at this link:
2. There were several different type of Native American shelters. Those that were nomadic lived in tepees.Click on pueblos. From which language does the world pueblo originate?_______________In which national park, can you see some of these pueblo cliff dwellings?_____________Click on Longhouse: Which native Americans lived in longhouses?_______________ What was the problem with the inside of the longhouses because there were few openings?_______________Click on plank house. Which Native Americans built plankhouses?_______________Click on wigwam:What did the Wampanoags, call wigwams?______________Name another group of Native Americans that built wigwams.__________________Why do you think the Wampanoag moved away from the coast in the winter(thought question)__________Find the answers at this link:mrnussbaum.com
3. With over 1000 Native American tribes in the United States,name four tribes of the Great Plains.____________ ___________and ____________Which animal was hunted for food and other needs?____________Being nomadic, what was their shelter called?____________ Name a native American people of Alaska._______________Which native Americans were famous for their totem poles?_____________________and ____________Because there weren't many trees, from what did the the Apache, Pueblo and Navajo use to make their shelter?_________What was the name for the five native American nations that were located in the Northeastern part of the U.S.A?_______________Find the answers at this link:http://www.ducksters.com/history/native_american_tribes_regions.php
4. During the Revolutionary War,on which side did most Native Americans side?________________Why did they choose this side to support?________________________ How was a strong power, the Iroquois Confederacy, weakened during the American Revolutionary War?_____________________ Find the answers at this link: http://www.historywiz.com/nativesrevolution.htmlWhich side would you have joined and why?____________________________________
There are 12 web questions in the complete resource.
Did You Know?
Native Americans shared their cure for Scurvy, a disease caused by the lack of Vitamin C.They made a tea from evergreen branches and gave it to French Explorer, Jacques Cartier and his men(1536).
Did you know that Native Americans shared with the Pilgrims the idea of using dead fish when planting corn. It was a natural fertilizer.
At the first Thanksgiving, in 1621, the Wampanoag people shared foods such as squash, corn, maple syrup, cranberries, pumpkins and turkey, with the Pilgrims.
Have you placed the game of lacrosse? It was first played by the Native American. Interestingly, it wasn't a "game" but a way to settle arguments. The French explorers first saw the game and named it.
There are 9 Did You Know? Statements in the complete resource.
1.How was Sacagawea important to the Lewis and Clark expedition? Give 3 examples)
2. Why did most Native American tribes side with the British during the American Revolutionary War?
3. Sequoyah developed a writing system for his people. Why is a writing system important to a culture?
There are 8 Comprehension Questions in the complete resource.
Have students in small groups work on the web quest. Regroup and discuss the web quest.
After completing the webquest, have students write a diary entry pretending to be a Native American(a famous person mentioned, walking the Trail of Tears, etc.) Include 3 facts learned from the web quest in the diary.
1. Some words in English from Native Americans:
manatee, opossum, parka, raccoon, skunk, squash, succotash, woodchuck, moccasin, chipmunk
Have students draw/color a picture of one of the these words. Write a haiku on your word.
2. Make a totem pole-use my photographhttp://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/na/totempole/See this short video clip that shows animals and their importance as a symbol. http://mrnussbaum.com/inttotem/
3. Make a dream catcher:http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/na/totempole/
4. Read a Native American Folkstory: http://www.apples4theteacher.com/native-american/short-stories/
There are 12 extension activities in the complete resource.
* http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_024206.pdfContributions from Native Americans
Notes: Illustration from: OpenClipart.org