Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out for April: Earth Day,Arbor Day, Oceans, Dirt, Shakespeare and Books!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
WORLD LANDMARKS 1
Pack your bags and let's travel around the world to learn about some pretty interesting world landmarks. Dont forget your camera!
1. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is one of the most famous landmarks in Italy. It was begun in 1173 and started with money left in the will of which wealthy woman?____________ Why did it take until 1350 for it to be completed?________________ Galileo Galilei supposedly conducted his famous gravity experiments by dropping objects for the tower in 1589. Almost from the beginning, the tower has leaned. What causes the lean?_______________ Find the answers at this link: Fun Social Studies
2. Formed by the Zambezi, Africas's fourth largest river,Victoria Falls, is more than one and a half times the width of Niagara Falls. It is considered one of the seven wonders of the natural world. Which European was the first to come upon the falls in 1855?__________________ What is the original name for the falls and what does the word mean?__________________For whom did the British explorer name the falls?___________________ Find the answers at this link: Victoria Falls Guide
3. Called the earliest monumental sculpture,the Sphinx was probably built by Khafre(2558-2532 BCE), the son of Khufu(Cheops), builder of the Great Pyramid. With the head of a man and body of a lion, the sphinx is over 4500 years old. How large is the head?________________ What is missing from the face?__________________What was found near one ear of the sphinx?_____________________ In a story told on an inscription between the front paws, what would be the reward for clearing away the sand from the body of the sphinx?_______________________ Find the answers at this awesome site on ancient Egypt. Guardian Net
4. Ships traveling between New York and San Francisco can save 7,872 miles by using the Panama Canal instead of going around Cape Horn. Which two bodies of water does the canal connect?____________________Which president of the United States had the U.S. Army Corp of engineers finish the canal?____________________ In which year was the canal completed?_________________ Find the answers at this link: Buzzle
5. It took 22 years to complete the Taj Mahal, probably the most famous landmark in India. With 20,000 skilled workers, the marble monument is a tomb built by Shah Jahan for his beloved wife. What was his wife's name?__________________ When was the tomb started?_______________ Where is the monument located?____________________Find the answers at this link: Taj Mahal
6. Completed in 80 AD, the Coliseum of Rome could hold 50,000 spectators. It was here that men fought men, animals fought animals and men fought animals. How were Christians treated at the Coliseum?____________________ On some occasions, the colosseum would be flooded with water so naval battles could be held. Under which Roman emperor was the Coliseum completed?_______________ What was its original name?_________________How did seating show your status in society?_____________________Find the answers at this link:Buzzle
7. Called the world's greatest engineering marvel when it was constructed in 1889, theEiffel Tower was designed by which person? It was the tallest structure in the world until the building of the Empire State Building. What were some of the uses of the tower?____________________What were some unusual events that took place at the Eiffel Tower?_________________ What has been engraved on the tower?_______________ Find the answers at this link:http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Landmarks/eiffel-history.htm
8. Called the Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu is found 8000 ft. up in the Andes. It was built by which emperor in the 15th century?__________________ When the ___________ came upon Machu Picchu in the 16th century, it had already been deserted. Who is credited with rediscovering the ruins in 1911?________________ For which Inca leader was Machu Picchu built?___________ The ___________River lies below the Inca site found in the country of Peru.Find the answers at this link:Fact Monster
*Although I have reviewed the links, please review all links before using with your students.
Click Here to see some World Landmarks(with captions) and a short World Traveler Activity(FREE):World Travelers
Check out Purple Annie's Trip to China:Purple Annie's Trip to China