My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
IN THE NEWS
In 2017, the people of Switzerland entered the record books with the longest tunnel in the world. Started in 1993, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is 35 miles long! Before this tunnel was completed, the world's longest tunnel was the Seikan Tunnel, in Japan. It is 33.46 miles long and runs under the Tsugaru Strait, connecting the islands of Hokkaido and Honshu. The Gotthard Base Tunnel, is above ground and goes through the Alp Mountains. And, if you are wondering which tunnel is the 3rd longest, that would be the Chunnel Tunnel. The Chunnel, at 31 miles long, connects Great Britain to France ,and runs under the English Channel.
Learn more about Switzerland:
Mapwork on Switzerland:
1. Name the countries that border Switzerland.______________
2. In which country is Mt.Blanc found?___________
3. Near which city are both the Matterhorn and Mt. Rosa
4. What is the capital city of Switzerland?________ Near which lake is it located?___________
5. Which southern city of Switzerland is near Lake Como?____________
6. On the map, which city is the furthest north?_________________
7. Where is Vaduz found?________________
8. Switzerland's Lake Geneva borders what other country?_______________
9. On the map, which city, in Switzerland, is the furthest east?______________
10. Lake Constance touches which countries?__________________________
FUN ACTIVITIES for SWITZERLAND:
William Tell-Short-story-time.comRead the legend of William Tell
The Matterhorn and its mirror image! Cowbells on a barn wall. Glacier near Zermatt.Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch Mts.near Interlaken(Murren) Famous lion monument in Lucerne.Traditional Swiss building with lots of flowers. Workers making avalanche barriers.Covered bridge in Lucerne(from 1400s!) Friend met will hiking down the Gornegrat. Notice the bells?