Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!Flag Day and World Ocean Day
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Let's Learn about South Korea!
Gail Skroback Hennessey
Click Here to purchase the complete resource:Let's Learn about South Korea: A Webquest2>
The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in South Korea. What do YOU know about this country? Pack your bag and passport. Bring along your camera and let's travel to South Korea!
1. Click on the map of South Korea. What is the capital city of South Korea?_______________Land surrounded by three sides of water is called a peninsula. Name the sea to the east:_____________ Name the Sea to the west:_______________Name the highest peak in South Korea:____________________ Did you know that more than 70% of South Korea is mountainous? Name the two main mountain ranges in South Korea:_________________and _______________Find the answers at this link:
2. The culture of Korea has similarities to which two countries? ____________ and______________ Rice is an important part of the Korean diet and is eaten with most meals. What is the popular food of South Korea, eaten any time of the day?______________What is done to the vegetables?___________Did you know that sweet potatoes are very popular in South Korea? Sweet potato are found in snacks, dinners, desserts, cakes, breads and even on pizza! Which number is considered bad luck?____________When you enter the home of a Korean person, what should you do?________________. Note: Do not click to "read more". It is not necessary and takes you to a sponsored site!Find the answers at this link: http://dinolingo.com/blog/2011/05/04/korean-culture/#.WXteSK2ZODU
3.What is Seollal?__________________It is called the ________________ Who do South Koreans honor on this holiday?______________ What is a hanbok. __________________ Education is very important in Korea. What are after school classes called? __________________ What do you think of such after school classes?_________________ To make the picture writing of Korea easier to read, what does each character represent?____________ What is their writing system called?______________There are 24 characters in Korean writing and is read from left to right. What is Pansori?_______________What is a buk? _______________Find the answers at this link: http://www.childrenoftheworld.de/english/teachers/southkorea/southkorea_complete.pdf
4. The Republic of Korea(ROK) is the official name of South Korea. Where did the people of Korea originate?_____________ and_________ Why are most of the mountains peaks of Korea rather small compared to other areas of the world? _______________ What has caused the tigers of the Korean peninsula to have dwindled to almost none?___________________
What is the money of South Korea called? ___________ Find the answers at this link: http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/explore/countries/south-korea/#south-korea-market.jpg
There are 11 web questions in the complete resource.
Did You Know?
1.In Korean culture, you are considered to be ONE year old at your birth.
2.Tetraphobiais the fear of the number 4, considered to mean death and is a very unlucky number. In Korean culture, the number 4 is considered very bad luck.
3. The color red is also bad luck.
4. 90% of the world's seaweed is harvested and eaten by the people of South Korea.
There are 10 Did You Know? facts in the complete resource.
1. What are 2 customs you have learned about the people of South Korea?
2. What are TWO examples of culture contact, something other cultures shared with South Korea. What is something which the Korean people shared with the world?
3. What is a peninsula. Name 2 countries which are examples of a peninsula.
4. Which type of government does North Korea have? Which type of government does South Korea have? Which is the most prosperous country?
5. Which two countries influenced the Korean culture? Which three countries tried to claim the Korean peninsula? After World War 2,the peninsula was divided into two countries. Which two countries each influenced each Korea?
6. Why are most of the mountains on the Korean Peninsula not especially high?
7. What are three foods which are popular in South Korea? Which animal has nearly disappeared from the Korean Peninsula?
8. What do many people of South Korea believe influences someone’s personality?
1. Before having students do the webquest, have students locate the country ofSouth Korea on a world map. Share what apeninsulais and have students look at a world map and find other countries which are on peninsulas. (Ie: India, Italy,Scandinavian Peninsula(Norway and Sweden),Jutland Peninsula(Denmark), Iberian Peninsula has Spain and Portugal, etc.Can they name a state in the USA that is a peninsula?
2. Ask the students to share any prior knowledge they may have on the country of South Korea. Ask the students to share any prior knowledge they have on the Olympic Games.
3. Discuss the terms:CULTURE, CUSTOMS and CULTURE CONTACT
A culture is a group of people that agree to do things in a similar way.Customs are the "ways" of doing things in a culture. Culture Contact is when different cultures meet and exchange ideas. Have students share different CUSTOMS that they know from around the world.Culture Contactis when two different cultures meet and share ideas. Have students think of different things we have from other cultures and things/ideas we may have shared with other cultures.
4. After completing the webquest, regroup and discuss information learned from the web quest on the country of South Korea. Use a world map and have students locate countries mentioned including China, Japan and Russia.
5. Review some of the vocabulary words: prosperity, export, mascot, contribution, technology, dwindle, originate
1. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm Review the Korean alphabet.Try writing something using the Korean alphabet.
2. http://www.thecraftycrow.net/2010/03/crafts-around-the-world-korea.html Try having students play Yut-Nori, a Korean Board Game
There are 7 extension activities in the complete resource, a key to the web quest and comprehension questions, additional links of teachers in the complete resource.
Other Resources of Interest:
1.Learn about the history of the famous games which began in ancient Greece, both past and present with this informative webquest. There are 10 questions as well a number of fun facts. Extension activities are also included(and the key).The webquest can be completed in one class period and is geared for upper elementary and middle school students.Can be used before a vacation, for a Friday activity,during the upcoming Olympic Games, or if you are studying the ancient Greeks: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-FAMOUS-Games-of-Ancient-Greece-A-WebquestExtension-Activities-1021833
2. Learn about the country of Greece with this web quest. There are nine questions as well as comprehension questions and the key. This would be a great resource if you are doing anything with the upcoming Olympics as the country of Greece is where the Olympic Games originated! https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Its-Greek-to-Me-A-Webquest-1073827
Check out all my resources including Reader’s Theater Scripts on Famous people in history and science, web quests on lots of different topics, Interactive Notebook Activities and units of study in Social Studies(world History) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Gail-Hennessey
Check out my website for teachers/kids: http://www.gailhennessey.com Lots of geographic activities, short reads, news, bell ringers, factoids on different topics, career surveys and more.
NOTE: Illustrations from wpclipart.com and open clipart.org