Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Gail Skroback Hennessey
On February 28, 1803, President Thomas Jefferson got approval by the Congress for an expedition to explore the lands of the Louisiana Purchase. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark and about 31 other men began the journey.Originally given $2500, the final cost of this trip came to around $38,000. Learn about the Lewis and Clark expedition with this fun and informative webquest.
1. President Jefferson established four goals for the Lewis and Clark expedition which would take 2 years, 4 months and 10 days. The journey would cover over 8000 miles! What were the four goals?________________ ______________________ _______________ ___________________What was the Northwest Passage?____________________Find the answer at this link:quizlet.com
2. There were 42 people that made up the Corps of Discovery when it began its expedition. Who was the youngest member?_________________How did he actually HELP the group during the expedition?_________________ Who was York?____________________Who was the important translator and guide of the group?_____________Why didn't Moses Reed stay with the Corp of Discovery?_____________What crime was another member named John Colter charged? ______________Another valuable member of the Corps of Discovery was Seaman, a 150 pound Newfoundland dog, and Lewis' pet. How do you think Seaman was helpful to the Corps of Discovery?(thought question)_______________Find the answers at this link:mrnussbaum.com>
3. To get ready for the expedition, President Jefferson sent Meriwether Lewis to the University of Pennsylvania. What were three things Lewis studied to prepare for the trip?__________ ___________ and ____________ Considered co-leaders of the expedition, what were the main responsibilities of William Clark? ____________ and ____________ Find the answers at this link:mrnussbaum.com
1. William Clark spelled the word mosquitoes 26 different ways. The pesky bugs were a real problem on the journey!
2. About 140 different maps were made.
3. After reaching the Pacific Ocean,the group decided where to stay for the winter. Sacagawea was allowed to vote(about 100 years before women got this right). Clark's slave York also was allowed to vote( about 60 years before the end of slavery).
THERE ARE 9 FUN FACTS in the COMPLETE RESOURCE.
Go to this link for the complete Lewis and Clark Webquest/Extension activities:Lewis and Clark Webquest/Extension Activities
Reader's Theater Script on Lewis and Clark(part of my Ms. Bie Ografee series of Talk Show plays): Lewis and Clark, A Reader's Theater Script