Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out Women's History, Ireland and World Book Day Factoids!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
Astronaut John Glenn's
Gail Skroback Hennessey
1. With little more leg-room then a Volkswagen Beetle, John Glenn orbited the earth, three times, in 4 hours and 56 minutes. Glenn got permission from NASA to bring a little gold pin and some small silk flags, things what wouldn't weigh very much. What were three of the things which John Glenn saw as he orbited the Earth?________________________ ___________ _________ Find the answer at this link:historynet.com
2. The third American in space, John Glenn orbited the Earth three times, traveling at speeds of 17,000 miles an hour. Prior to being an astronaut, Glenn was in the military. In which conflict did he serve?__________ Afterwards, he became a test pilot. Which record flight did he complete?_______________What was the name of the space project that John Glenn was involved?________
Find the answers at this link:
3. From a maximum altitude of about 100 miles, there was a problem with Friendship 7. The capsule started to slant right. What had gone wrong to cause this?_________________. Then, a more serious problem occurred which might have prevented his safe return to Earth. NASA didn't wish to tell Glenn. What was the problem?_________________What were Glenn’s first words after safely returning to earth and exiting the space capsule?_____________Find the answers at this link:teacher.scholastic.com(You will have to click on "next" to find all the answers.)
There are 10 web questions in the complete resource.
1. Before doing the webquest, ask student to share any prior knowledge they have on the history of space exploration. Ask the students if they know anything about John Glenn.
2. Have groups of students do the webquest. Have the students create 7 comprehension questions to have another group of students answer. Regroup and discuss the web quest.
There are seven extension activities with the complete web quest and the key.
Check out my web quest on Space Exploration:Space: The Final Frontier: A Webquest
Click here to see the complete resource:Astronaut, John Glenn!