Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out for April: Earth Day,Arbor Day, Oceans, Dirt, Shakespeare and Books!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
Mes de la Herencia Hispana
National Hispanic Heritage Month!
Gail Skroback Hennessey
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated each year from September 15-October 15th. It was originally established, in 1969, as Hispanic Heritage Week, by President Lyndon Johnson. In 1988, it became a month long celebration. Learn some of the contributions made by Hispanic(and Latino )Americans, to our country, with this informative webquest!
1. National Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15th to celebration the independence for which five Latin American countries?______________ ______________________________ and ___________.Which other holiday occurs during National Hispanic Heritage Month?_________ According to the 2010 census( a survey of a population), what percent of people living in the USA are of Hispanic or Latino origin?_________Find the answers at this link: http://www.hispanicheritagemonth.org
2. Perhaps, you've heard a mariachi band? This music originated in Mexico. Which musicis popular with people who came from Puerto Rico and Cuba?_________Which type of music uses both the accordion and alto saxophone and has roots with German and Czech music?________ From which country, do most people of Hispanic and Latino origin in the United States,come from?_________Which popular condiment(something placed on food to add to the taste) sells better than ketchup in the U.S.A?__________Which green vegetable snack is often served with chips?________Find the answers at this link:
3. Many words in English originated(started)with Spanish words. It is thought that at least_________ English words originated with Spanish words. Oregano, tomato, burrito and taco are examples.Find three words that have to do with cowboys that come from Spanish.___________________and______________What are three words that came to us from sailors stopping at Caribbean islands?_________ __________ and ____________Which insect's name comes from a Spanish word?________Find the answers at this link:http://www.factmonster.com/spot/spanishwords1.html
There are 12 web questions, a Did You Know? section, comprehension questions, a Teacher Page with extension activities and the key.
Did You Know?( SAMPLE of some of the facts)
Comprehension Questions:(SAMPLE of some of the questions)
1. Which layer of the atmosphere was affected by chlorofluorocarbons? How is this layer important to us?
2. What is the term for the highest court in the United Sates? Who is the head of this court?
Define and place in a sentence: census, architecture, condiment, customs, luminaries, pinata.
Have students in small groups work on the web quest. Regroup and discuss the web quest.
Have groups make 7 true or false questions to exchange with another group to answer as a review.
Extension Activities: (SAMPLE OF SOME of the ACTIVITIES)
1. Fun online activities:Play Paco’s Passport http://pbskids.org/mayaandmiguel/english/games/passport/index.html
2. Game from Mexico: Toma Todo: http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/hispanic/act_tomatodo.htm
3. Read a Hispanic folkstory: http://www.worldoftales.com/European_folktales/Romanic_folktale_2.htmlThe Ugly Princessor http://www.worldoftales.com/European_folktales/Romanic_folktale_2.htmlThe Bear-Prince, The Gypsy queen and the Forbidden Chamber. (from Mexico)
4. El Chupacabra, is a mythical creature. Write 5 descriptive phrases to describe a chupacabra. Draw/color a picture. Write a day in the life of a chupacabra. http://www.kidzworld.com/article/2151-el-chupacabra
Notes: Illustration from: https://openclipart.org
Thank you for purchasing this resource! Please check out my other webquests/reader's theater scripts and units of study(world history): https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Gail-Hennessey