Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
Ben Franklin: A Webquest
Gail Skroback Hennessey
Ben Franklin's birthday is January 17, 1706. He had lots of sayings on how to live one's life. For example, "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him." He also said, "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Learn about this famous "founding father" of our country with this webquest!
1.Ben Franklin was a inventor,scientist,writer,statesman and librarian. Believing we could save fuel by using natural light of the sun, Ben first suggested an idea we use today. _______________________Find the answer at:
2. Ben Franklin is the only founding father to sign all four important documents in American History. Name the four documents:______________, _____________, _________________ and _____________An inventor of such things as bifocals and the lightning rod, why didn't Franklin get a patent for any of his ideas?__________________________Find the answers at this link: http://www.libertyskids.com/arch_who_bfranklin.html
3. Often called the "First American", Ben Franklin became a printer, inventor, writer and eventually became ambassador to which country during the Revolutionary War?____________What musical instrument did Franklin invent?___________________ Franklin also started the first________________ and first___________________ in Philadelphia. Find the answers at this link: http://www.ducksters.com/biography/ben_franklin.php
There are TEN web questions in the complete resource.
Fun Facts about Ben Franklin:
2.Young Ben used some money his parents gave him and went to the store to make a purchase. He noticed a young boy blowing a whistle and asked if he could buy it. When he got home, his family laughed that he spent much more than he should have done. Later in life when Ben saw people overpaying for things, he said, "They give too much for their whistles."
3.As a young man, Ben became a vegetarian and lived on potatoes,raisins and bread. With the extra savings and time, Ben purchased books and said he had more time to read.
There are SEVEN fun facts in the complete resource.
Test your Knowledge on Ben Franklin:
1. Ben Franklin is found on which US currency?
A. One dollar bill
B. Ten dollar bill
C. Hundred dollar bill
2. In addition to inventing bifocals, a device to reach for items using a long wooden pole with a grasping claw at the end and an odometer, Franklin invented:
B. lightning rod
C. electronic calculator
3. Ben started the first volunteer fire department,the first free hospital and the
A: first public library in Philadelphia
B. first pizza restaurant in Philadelphia
C. first public school in Philadelphia
There are EIGHT Test your Knowledge questions in the complete resource.
Illustrate a quote of Ben Franklin http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/benjamin_franklin.html
There are EIGHT extension activities in the complete resource and several additional suggested links.
Note: Illustration of Ben Franklin from: wpclipart.com