Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!Flag Day and World Ocean Day
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
NOTE: You can download a user friendly version of this, including some questions to use the resource as an Interactive Notebook Activity.Click here:What Became of the Mayflower?
FACTS on the MAYFLOWER:
1. 102 passengers in addition to the crew were aboard the Mayflower when it set sail from Southampton, England, on September 16, 1620.
2. It took 65 days to cross the Atlantic.
3. There were 18 adult women that made the voyage.
4. A baby, named ,Oceanus Hopkins, was born on the voyage.
5. During a very bad storm, one of the main beams of the ship cracked causing discussion of turning back. Fortunately, a giant screw(perhaps, from a printing press or other equipment aboard) was used to repair the beam so the voyage could continue.
6. The ship sighted Cape Cod on November 19, 1620, and dropped anchor at what is now called Provincetown Harbor on November 21st.
7. Before leaving the ship, a temporary government was established with the document called the Mayflower Compact.
8. By the time of the first Thanksgiving, only 4 of the 18 women had survived. In total, 52 members of those who who made the journey had died from disease and the harsh winter.
Sites of interest:
See Plymouth Rock:Plymouth Rock
Mayflower History passenger list
Enchanted Learniing Diagram of the Mayflower crossing the Atlantic
Check out my Thanksgiving Webquest(and fun/informative facts about turkeys,too!)Click here:Thanksgiving Webquest
A Ms.Bie Ograffee Reader's Theater Script, an interview with Love Brewster, a Pilgrim of Plymouth Colony.Love was an actual member of the 102 Pilgrims that came to America. He was about nine years old. The play includes info on Mayflower, first winter and Thanksgiving feast. Fun facts,Comprehension questions, extension activities, links:Love Brewster: A Pilgrim at Plymouth Colony(Reader's Theater Script