Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out Women's History, Ireland and World Book Day Factoids!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
Gail Skroback Hennessey
What do you know about Antarctica? Did you know that there aren't any countries on this continent? Did you know that Antarctica is called the largest desert in the world? Grab your warmest coat, a hat, goggles, scarf and gloves and let's explore the continent of Antarctica!
1. Unlike all other continents, there are NO time zones on the continent of Antarctica! In 1820, the first people to see Antarctica came from which three countries?___________, __________ and __________.What did Charles Wilkes do in 1840?______________ Which explorer was the first to reach the South Pole(in 1911)?______________ Only a couple of weeks later,Robert Scott also reached the South Pole. What happened to Scott and his crew?__________What did American Admiral Richard E. Byrd become the first to do in 1929?____________Find the answers at this link: timeforkids.com
2. From a Greek word meaning "opposite to the north", Antarctica has 90% of the world's ice. Much of the ice is 1 mile thick! Click on the different slides to learn about some of the mammalsthat call Antarctica home. Which mammal's name is misleading as it doesn't eat what its name implies?_________ Of all the seal species, what can be said about this particular seal?_______Which seal can hold its breathe for as long as 45 minutes?_________ What seal has very large eyes?_________Find the answers at this link: timeforkids.com
3. What are TWO reasons for Antarctica being called the "largest desert in the world"?______________and_______________ What are THREEreasons for the lack of plant life in Antarctica?__________and ________ Some plant life can be found in Antarctica. Name two flowering plants that grow in the summer months:___________and _______________ Find the answers at this link:buzzle.com
Did You Know?
1. The continent of Antarctica was once part of a larger mass mass called Gondwanaland. India, Australia, SA and Africa were also part of Gondwanaland.
2. The highest point in Antarctica is Vinson Massif. It is 16,070 ft. (4897 m)
3. The coldest temp ever recorded was -128.6 F(-89.2 C)onJuly 21, 1983, at the Russian Vostok Station, on Antarctica.
4. Did you know that 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice and snow?
5. Did you know that only 100 tourists are allowed to be ON Antarctica at any one time?
There are 10 web questions and 14 Did You Know? Additionally there are 9 Comprehension Questions(some thought questions), a Teacher page with 7 extension activities, additional links and the key.
Check out my complete Webquest on Antarctica:Antarctica! A Webquest
Note: Illustration from Wpclipart.com