Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
BBC Website for Kids
Learn about the Country of North Korea!
Gail Skroback Hennessey
Founded in 1948 by Kim II-Sung, North Korea is officially called the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. About the size of the state of Pennsylvania, it has been nicknamed the Hermit Kingdom because it is a country that few from the outside world have visited. Let's learn about this country which has been in the news recently.
North and South Korea are located on the Korean Peninsula. A peninsulais land surrounded by water on three sides.
* The highest peak in North Korea is Mount Paektu(also called Mount Baekdu). The extinctvolcano stands 9,020 feet (2,750 meters) and is located on the border between North Korea and China.
1.The Korean alphabet is similar to which alphabet?_______________ From which language have many of the Korean words originated?_________________ In what ways did people write Korean before the year 1980?____________ and_____________ How is Korean written today? _________________and ________________Find the answers at this link:http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm
2. What are two western sports whichpeople of North Korea enjoy playing? __________________ and_________________What is ssirum?_____________________What are two things children like to do for fun? ________________ and ______________Find the answers at this link: http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/north_korea/north-south/index.asp?article=north_korea
3.Like the Chinese and Japanese, what do the people of North Korea use for eating?___________________What is kimchi, a populardish of the people of Korea?_____________________Only about 20% of the land of North Korea is farmable. What are two problems, in recent years, which have damaged crop production in North Korea?_________________ and _______________ What is the term for when there isn't enough food?__________________ Find the answers at this link:http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/north_korea/north-south/index.asp?article=north_korea
THERE ARE 8 WEBQUESTIONS IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE.
Did You Know?
1. North Korea has their very own time zone. It is called Called Pyongyang Time.
2. After you finish school, you are assigned a job for life. You do NOT get to choose your profession.
3. At one time all teachers in North Korea needed to learn to play the accordion!It is still a popular instrument in North Korea today.
4. The North Koreans used a calendar based on the birthday of their founder, Kim Il-Sung. The date was April 15, 1912. So, in 2018, the Korean calendar is the year 106.
THERE ARE 12 DID YOU KNOW? FACTS in the COMPLETE RESOURCE.
Comprehension and Thought Questions:
THERE ARE 6 Comprehension and THOUGHT QUESTIONS in the COMPLETE RESOURCE.
1. Before giving the students the webquest, have students locate the country of North Korea on a world map. Ask the students to define the word, peninsula. Have students locate different peninsulas in the world and to name countries that are found on a peninsula. Ask the students to list some of the freedoms they have in their country. Discuss culture contact(different groups of people sharing their ideas with another culture) and customs(the behaviors and ways of a group of people). Have students list different examples of each. For example, skiing started in Norway and tacos are from Mexico. Bowing is a way of greeting one another in Japan, China and North Korea. Using chopsticks instead of a fork is another example of a custom of a group of people.
2. Have the students do the web quest and regroup afterwards to discuss things they have learned about North Korea and to discuss how the country is different from their own country. Have students make connections with different aspects of the web quest. For example, how would they feel if they could not determine their own profession? Etc.
THERE ARE 6 EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE AS WELL AS THE KEY FOR THE MAP ACTIVITY, WEBQUEST AND COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS.
Notes: In North Korea, the body of water between Korea and Japan is known only as the East Sea and not the Sea of Japan.
3. The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in South Korea. This would be a great opportunity to introduce students to the county of South Korea. There are 11 web questions, lots of Did You Know? facts, comprehension questions and a teacher page with 7 extension activities. There is also a key for both the web quest and comprehension questions and additional links for teachers. Although the activity could be done in one class period, if you decide to do some of the extension activities, this resource could be used over several days.https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/South-Korea-A-Webquest-3296485
3. Check out this resource on the Famous Games from Ancient Greece:
Learn about the history of the olympic games which began in ancient Greece, both past and present with this informative webquest. There are 10 questions as well a number of fun facts. Extension activities are also included(and the key).https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-FAMOUS-Games-of-Ancient-Greece-A-WebquestExtension-Activities-1021833