My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
The Three Gorges ( 三峡 )
Three Gorges Dam was built along the Yangtze River of China is the largest hydroelectric dam in the world! 13 cities, 140 towns and over 1,300 villages were submerged by the Three Gorges Reservoir construction causing over a million people to move. The dam took 17 years to construct. In the fall of 2010, the water level reached its maximum capacity.
Cyberhunt on the Three Gorges Dam and the Baiji of the Yangtze River :
1. The Yangtze River dolphin is very rarely seen. Also called the Baiji Dolphin, what are two names given to this dolphin?_______________________and _______________. Give TWO facts about the dolphin.___________________________and __________________One of the 12 most endangered animals in the world, about how many Baigi Dolphins are believed to still exist in the wild?_____________What is the main reason for the these dolphins disappearing?_____________________Find the answer at this site: livescience.comNote: It is believed that as of 2018, the Baiji Dophin has become extinct.
2. The dam is how wide?______ How high?______ Find the answers at this site: Travelchinaguide
3. The Yangtze River stretches nearly 4000 miles across China making it the ____________ river in Asia and the ______ longest river in the world. Find the answers at this site: Justfunfacts
4. Give Two reasons why people felt the Three Gorges Dam would be beneficial._______________ and ______________What were TWO reasons people felt the dam would be harmful?___________________ and ___________________ Find the answer at this site: yangtzeriver.org
5.What happened to thousands of people that lived near where the dam was constructed?_________________What type of natural disaster could occur in the area of the Three Gorges Dam?______________ Find the answer at this site: Primaryfacts
6. Scientists say that because of the weight of the water at full capacity, what has actually been slowed down?________________What else has the Three Gorges Dam changed in the area?_______________________Find the answer at this site:
Although I have tried to review each link, please check the site to see if it is appropriate for your grade level. Also, please monitor that students stay at the link. Should you find something questionable, please let me know. Thanks!
Check out my resource: China, A Webquest(Country in Focus Series) at this link:Country in Focus: China, A Webquest Check out my reading on the Great Wall of China:Great Wall of China, A Reading Passage
Note: Illustration from openclipart.org