My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
Arbor Day, 2021
Gail Skroback Hennessey
The Arbor Day Foundation helps to plant around 15 million trees each year.
Learn about the history of Arbor Day and trees with this web quest!
1. Arbor Day is celebrated on the last Friday in the month of April. Why do states such as Alaska and Hawaii celebrate Arbor Day in different months?____________________ It is a day set aside to appreciate the importance of trees."Arbor" is a Latin word. What does it mean?__________Some people wanted to call this day of tree planting,Sylvan Day. What does "sylvan" mean in Latin?______________ Arbor was selected because it represented all trees, not just those of the forest. How many trees were planted on the very first Arbor day, April 22, 1872?_________________ Find the answers at this link:http://www.kidsplayandcreate.com/arbor-day-facts-for-kids/
2. Arbor Day dates back to 1872. Who is credited with beginning the idea of a day set aside to plant trees?___________As a newspaper writer he spoke of the importance of environmental stewardship. What does this mean?__________________Many countries of the world celebrate a tree planting day or week including Brazil, Australia, Egypt, New Zealand, Germany, Mexico and Canada. Name four additional countries that celebrate a day to celebrate trees:_______________________________________________________Find the answers at this link: http://dnr.wi.gov/eek/veg/arbor.htm
3. In addition to their beauty and the shade that trees provide on a hot summer day, what are FOUR other ways in which trees are important?___________________________________________________List three products which trees provide:_________________________________Find the answers at this link:Trees
4. What is dendrochronology?__________________What is the name for the largest tree in the world? It stands 275 ft.(83.8m) ___________________ What is the name for one of the oldest trees in the world? _____________How old is this tree estimated to be? ___________You can't visit this very old tree as it is found in a secret location in the state of California. Why do YOU think the location is kept a secret?____________What gives a tree leaf its green coloring?__________Find the answers at this link: http://www.treesaregood.com/funfacts.aspx
Did You Know?
1. Arborist(tree scientist), Chris Roddick said that when Christopher Columbus came to North America, there were so many trees that squirrels could jump from tree to tree without jumping down to the ground. The distance they could travel was from the Northeast to the Mississippi.
2. Some trees communicate with other trees. The willow is an example. These trees send out a chemical to warn other trees that there is danger from caterpillars and webworms. The trees respond by emitting more tannin into their leaves. This makes it harder for the bugs to eat their leaves!
1 What are four things which trees provide?
2. Why do some areas of the United States(and the world) celebrate Arbor Day on a different day of the year?
3. The Cherry Trees in Washington, DC, were a gift from which country?
4. In addition to planting trees, what are two other things which people do on Arbor Day ?
5. What do you think of the idea of being a tree hugger to stop logging activity?
6. What are 2 medicines that originally were made from the parts of trees?
7. Explain how the willow trees communicate when there is danger and how they respond to that danger.
8. Contrast deciduous/evergreen trees. Give three facts for each.
1. Find the state tree for your state and have students learn about the tree and illustrate the tree and write two facts about the tree on their drawing. Perhaps, also draw the leaf of that tree : http://www.planetpals.com/state_trees.html
2. Have students learn about a specific tree: https://www.plt.org/educator-tips/teach-trees-activity-factsUse a world map and locate the country where the tree is found.
printable diagrams of the parts of a tree
There are 11 web questions in the complete resource and several more Did You Know? fun facts. There are 11 extension activities in the complete resource, additional links for teachers and the key for both the web quest and comprehension questions. Click here:Arbor Day: A Webquest
Check out these additional resources on the topic of the environment:
2. Exploring the Ocean Blue: A Web quest, will introduce students to our oceans. There are nine informative web questions. Fun Facts, comprehension questions,extension activities and links are also provided as is the key. Can be used as part of a unit on oceans, for Earth Day, World Ocean Day or as an activity for a Friday, before a vacation break or as an end of the year activity. This can be a one day class resource or used for a couple of days depending on whether the activities(creative writing/art work/online simulation games, etc.) are used with the students: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Oceans-Exploring-the-Ocean-Blue-A-WebquestExtension-Activities-705943
3. Learn about Earth Day and our planet Earth, with this informative web quest! In 2017, the theme for Earth Day is "Environmental and Climate Literacy". Although this resource could be used for Earth Day, it really could be used throughout the year. Learn about the history of Earth Day and, our planet, EARTH, with this informative web quest. There are 15 web questions as well as comprehension questions and a Did You Know? fun fact section. The teacher page includes extension activities, the key, and additional links. Do you know the largest desert in the world? Do you know the longest river in the World? Who organized the first Earth Day? How long does it take for a styrofoam cup to decompose? What does extinct mean? These topic and more are included in the web quest:https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Earth-DayWebquest-on-the-Blue-Planet-1790891
4. In 1923, English mountaineer George Mallory was asked,"Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?"His response, "Because it's there." Thousands have been trying to summit the world’s highest mountain peak since this time. Learn about Mt. Everest, Nepal and the Yeti with this webquest!Lots of extension activities,interesting facts and comprehension questions are included. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Mt-Everest-Trekking-up-Mt-Everest-WebquestExtension-Activities-649400