My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
There is a Black History Month, Native Americans Heritage Month, a Hispanic American Month and a Woman's History Month. Asian American/Pacific Islanders Heritage Month is a time to highlight the contributions of these groups of people to the culture of the United States.
1. Which president first established a week to honor the contributions of Asian/Pacific Islanders Americans, in 1978? ____________ Which president extended this commemorative period to a month? ___________________Why was the month of May selected as the time to honor Asian/Pacific Islanders? _____________________________ It was also selected because the Transcontinental railroad was completed in May (1869), something many Chinese immigrants helped to build.https://www.care.com/c/teach-kids-asian-american-pacific-islander-heritage-month (Quick History Lesson)
2. Who was Kalpana Chawla?_____________ In which year did Chawla accomplish this?_______ What did the country of India name in her honor?______________________ Chawla died doing what she loved. What happened?__________________ What personal dream did she fulfill?____________________Thought question: What is a personal dream you hope to fulfill? ___________________________Find the answers at this link: https://mocomi.com/kalpana-chawla-biography/
3. I.M Pei designed buildings. What was he interested in when young? ______________________ What is the term for the art of planning and designing buildings?_________________________Considered a modernist, what are 3 materials used in his style of buildings?_____________ _______________ and ________________ What don't you see in most modernistic buildings? ________________ What is Pei's most famous building? ________________Where can you find this building? _________________What building did Pei design in Cleveland, Ohio? _________________Find the answers at this link: https://newsforkids.net/articles/2019/05/21/i-m-pei-designer-of-amazing-buildings/
4. Yo Yo Ma is a cellist and songwriter. The musician, of Chinese descent, was born in France. He began learning the cello at what age?__________ Taught by his father, when did his father wake Ma up for a lesson and to practice? ______________He was called a "child prodigy", someone very good at something at a young age. What famous school in New York City did Ma attend?______________________ What happened that Ma couldn't play the cello for many months? ____________________Why?_________________
He plays many different types of music(genres). Name 3. __________________ _________________ and ____________________ Ma has won 18 Grammy Awards for his music and uses a Stradivarius and a 17th century cello from Venice, Italy. For what movie did Ma create the sound track?____________________ What award did Ma receive in 2001?__________________________What other honor does Ma do on behalf of the United Nation? ______________________ Find the answers at this link:
5. Ellison Onizuka was the first Asian American to go into space. Born in Hawaii, Ellison's parents were from Japan. What was a famous quote of Onizuka? ____________________________________What do you think he meant by this statement?______________________________________Onizuka went into space in 1985 aboard the Discovery. Sadly, Onizuka died when the Challenger exploded in 1986 on take off. Interestingly, what possession of Onizuka survived the explosion? _____________Find the answers at this link: https://www.thoughtco.com/ellison-onizuka-4587315
THERE ARE 17 WEBQUESTIONS IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE.
Scroll down to Map of Asia Pacific region: https://worldmapwithcountries.net/2018/07/26/asia-pacific/
1. Try Japanese Origami: https://www.origamiway.com/very-simple-origami-for-kids.shtml
2. Make a Chinese paper Lantern: https://chalkacademy.com/easy-chinese-paper-lanterns-template/
3. Try Rangoli, an Indian art: https://www.kidsartncraft.com/rangoli-designs-kids/
4. Try learning a Filipino dance called tinkling. https://kidskonnect.com/social-studies/tinikling/
THERE ARE 17 EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN THE COMPLETE RESOURCE, ADDITIONAL LINKS AND THE KEY.
NOTE: Illustrations from Pixabay