My Book-Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!
I was interviewed for the December 2022 issue of The Children's Book Insider!
New:Check out my interview with Feathered Quill(Oct/22)at this link:Feathered Quill Interview with Gail
Welcome to My Website for Educators!
Try doing an act of kindness for someone, today!
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND SIGN MY GUESTMAP. I'D LOVE TO SEE WHERE MY VISITORS CALL HOME! Click on the GLOBE ICON on the left to open the map.
"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
7/2020:Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps won a 1st place Purple Dragonfly Book Award in the Picture Books 6 & Older category. Thank you, Story Monsters!
3/24/20:Excited to have my latest children's book, Mrs. Paddington and the Silver Mousetraps, chosen as a 2019 Story Monster Approved winner!
Highlighted FREEBIES for MARCH:
FREEBIES: 1. Ireland/St. Patrick's Day: Ireland and St. Patrick's Day Freebie
2. April Fool's Day:April Fool's FREEBIE
3. Women's History Month: Women's History Month Freebie
4. Pi Day: Pi Day Freebie
5. Water Facts: Water Facts Freebie
6. FAKE News:Fake News! Freebie
Highlighted Resources for MARCH:
1. March is WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH. Use this web quest(extension activities) to learn about 14 women that have made contributions to our world: Women's History Month: A Webquest
2. Learn about the contributions of some of our FIRST LADIES with this webquest:First Ladies Webquest
3. Use this informative Reader's Theater Script to learn about BESSIE COLEMAN. Bessie was the first African American female pilot in the U.S. A. AND the first AMERICAN to receive an international pilot's license! Bessie Coleman: A Reader's Theater Script
4. HATSHEPSUT, the woman who became KING of ancient Egypt. Use this Reader's Script as a fun/informative lesson on this famous woman in history. Hatshepsut, A Reading Passage
5.Learn about AMELIA EARHART.Amelia Earhart, A Reader's Theater Script
6. Check out this biographical reader's theater play on ELEANOR ROOSEVELT, an amazing first lady!Eleanor Roosevelt
7. Susan B. Anthony: Reader's Theater Script:Susan B. Anthony,a Reader's Theater Script
8. Elizabeth Blackwell: Reader's Theater Script: Elizabeth Blackwell, A Reader's Theater Script
* I also have Reader Theater Scripts on Katherine Johnson, Rachel Carson, Marie Curie,Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Sacagawea, Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Florence Harding, Mary Todd Lincoln, Martha Washington, Dolly Madison, Louisa May Alcott, Rachel Carson, Narcissa Whiteman(Oregon Trail) and Jane Goodall. I have reading passages on Sojourner Truth, Phillis Wheatley, Caroline Herschel, Catherine Moore Barry(Revolutionary War Heroine), Mary Anning, Artemisia, Enheduanna, Agnodice, Hypatia, Aglaonike, Aida de Acosta, Hatshepsut and Sophie Brache.
9. Learn about IRELAND and St. PATRICK'S DAY with this web quest on Ireland includes 12 questions and lots of extension activities! Skills include:reading for information and using research/computer skills:Ireland and St. Patrick's Day, A Webquest
10.Reader's Theater Script on McSean, a Leprechaun: A Visit with a Leprechaun
11. March is NATIONAL PEANUT MONTH: Fun/informative web quest to learn about the peanut.Includes fun facts, extension activities and comprehension questions. Great for a Friday activity! History of Peanuts Reader's Theater Script on George Washington Carver.George Washington Carver, A Reader's Theater Script
12. I have a Bundle on 10 Famous Women Reader's Theater Scripts. Women's History Bundle of Reader's Theater Scripts
All can also be purchased separately. 13. I have a Bundle on 10 Famous Women Reading Passages which also include a Fun Fact section, extension activities, map activity, comprehension questions.Women's Bundle of Ten Reading Passages
All can also be purchased separately.
14. Show students that Patriotism has no GENDER: Female Spies during the Civil War: Revolutionary War Female Spy, Reader's Theater Script
and WW2 Female Soldiers:Women Pilots during WW2, A Reader's Theater Script
15. Bundle on Women Suffrage includes: Susan B. Anthony, The Silent Sentinels and A Road Trip Across the USA for Women's Suffrage:Women's Suffrage Bundle
Includes: The Road Trip for Women's Suffrage(Reader's Theater Script, Susan B. Anthony and the Silent Sentinels(Reading) Also, sold individually.
Use my THINGY letters to have kids write spelling words, vocabulary words or as an art activity! Have students try and guess what some of the THINGY Letters are.(also have Black/White option):ClipArt: Alphabet Thingy Letters!
Check out my series of Children's Books from Aadarsh Publishing!
To any young people visiting my website. Please,if you are being bullied, seek help...SPEAK TO AN ADULT today!And, if you SEE something that looks like bullying-SAY something to an adult!
Check out my Pinterest page to see all my resources in one easy place!Click here to learn more:Gail's Social Studies Emporium(and More)
IN THE NEWS:03/24/2023:
Plant your Pants! Sounds like a great idea to get children to learning about soil. In England, each year, there is a Plant your Pants program where you are encouraged to find a pair of 100% cotton undies and bury them in about 6 inches of soil. After two months, you need to check your buried undies. If they have holes and look eaten away, that means your soil is healthy and different microorganisms are munching on them. If, your undies look pretty much like you last saw them, your soil needs better nutrients. Give it a try this growing season! Learn more at this link: Plant Your Pants!
The BLOB is coming. Sounds like a sci-fi movie but a 5000 mile wide clump (or blooms)of sargassum seaweed(really 300 species of brown algae) is heading for Florida from the Gulf of Mexico! It is so big, that it can been seen from space and the gigantic blob of seaweed is GROWING. Estimated to include 13 million tons, the blob of seaweed is expected to reach the Florida coast by summer. It is a big concern as not only does the seaweed smell(think rotten eggs) and make a mess on the shore as the tides brings it in, the seaweed draws the oxygen out of the water which isn't healthy for marine life.
Three King Penguins at a zoo in the country of Singapore got some badly needed surgery. Their eyes were very cloudy, affecting their vision. A veterinary ophthalmologist gave the penguins custom-made lenses to help their sight! It is believed to be the first time cataract surgery was done on penguins.
Paleontologist say they have found the remains of a species of plant-eating sauropod dinosaurs in China that had a world record size neck. It is estimated that the neck of the maenchisaurus sinocanadorum was 10 ft. longer that a school bus! Although found in the late 1980s, the fossils, of three vertebrae ,were just recently studied and the determination made.
Pompeii was a city destroyed when Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD. Since the city's rediscovery, about 250 years ago, archaeologists have been uncovering the city, buried in ash and stone, and have made some amazing finds. Learn about Pompeii at this link:Kids:National Geographic Weeds and grasses growing in Pompeii can damage the very old buildings so an unusual crew has been called in to help keep the grass and weeds down...sheep. About 150 sheep have been given the task of chopping to their hearts content. The sheep also supply fertilizer to the grounds adding needed nutrient to the soil. Interestingly, before the invention of lawnmowers, a family of sheep herders were employed to use their sheep for this very purpose. In fact, the same family, is supplying the sheep, today!
PAST NEWS STORIES
I retired from teaching after 33 1/2 years in the classroom. Of that time, I taught Grade 6 Social Studies teacher for 31 1/2 years.I earned my BA in early secondary education with a concentration in social studies from SUNY Oneonta, New York, and my MST in social studies education from Binghamton University in New York. In 1988, I was awarded the Outstanding Elementary Social Studies Classroom Teacher of the Year Award from the New York State Council for the Social Studies. Additionally, in 1988, I was also awarded the Outstanding Elementary Social Studies Teacher of the Year Award by the National Council for the Social Studies. I am the author of 8 books for teachers and over 35 books for children(Purple Turtle Series by Aadarsh Publishing and Odd History Series by Red Chair Press).
My work has appeared in most children's publications including: