Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out Women's History, Ireland and World Book Day Factoids!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
EARTH DAY: Webquest!
GAIL SKROBACK HENNESSEY
Learn about Earth Day and our planet Earth, with this informative web quest! In 2017, the theme for Earth Day is "Environmental and Climate Literacy".
Earth Day is April 22nd
1. 2017 is the 47th Earth Day Celebration. The idea to have a "birthday" party for planet Earth and create an awareness of how we all need to protect our world began with this man:________Which president agreed that the environment was an important issue?__________________The first Earth Day celebration was held on April 22, 1970. In 1971, which organization established Earth Day as an international holiday?_________ Find the answers at this link: http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholasticnews/indepth/earthday/articles/index.asp?article=history&topic=0
2. Did you know that about 1/2 of the food in the USA goes to waste? About how many pounds of garbage does the average American make a day?___________Every hours, how many plastic bottles are thrown away by Americans?___________What percent of the earth's water is salty?_____________About what percent of the remaining water is used farming, manufacturing and personal uses?__________Find the answers at this link: http://www.timeforkids.com/news/earth-day/87036
3. Every hour, 4 million plastic bottles are used in the United States!About how many trees are cut down to supply a year's worth of newspapers?_______________About what percent of all plastics are recycled in the United States? _____________How many years does it take for a styrofoam cup to decompose?______________Find the answers at this link:http://www.factmonster.com/science/environment/recycling-facts.html
4. In 1962,who wrote a book about the dangers of pesticides, creating an awareness that we needed to care about the environment?____________What was the name of her book?___________ In 1969, what caused Cleveland's Cuyahoga River to catch fire?___________ Which president, in 1971, passed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency?_______Find the answers at this link:http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/earth-day-timeline
1. Exploring the Ocean Blue: A Web quest, will introduce students to our oceans. There are nine informative web questions. Fun Facts, comprehension questions,extension activities and links are also provided as is the key. Can be used as part of a unit on oceans, for Earth Day, World Ocean Day or as an activity for a Friday, before a vacation break or as an end of the year activity. This can be a one day class resource or used for a couple of days depending on whether the activities(creative writing/art work/online simulation games, etc.) are used with the students. There are 9 informative web questions. Fun Facts, comprehension questions,extension activities,links:Exploring the Ocean Blue! A Webquest
2. Learn about Jacques Cousteau with this Reader's Theater Script: Oceanographer, photographer,filmmaker, scientist, writer, inventor, Cousteau spent his life studying the oceans and the marine life that lived in the oceans. His books and films on his studies sparked much interest in our oceans and created an awareness about the need for marine conservation. Part of my Ms. Bie Ografee Talk Show Series where Jacques Cousteau is a guest on her talk show and answers questions of her studio audience. There are 10 audience questioners, a Did You Know? section, comprehension questions, a teacher section with extension activities, links and the key. Jacques Cousteau: A Reader's Theater Script