Remember Our Soldiers
Materials for experiential,active learners
Mrs. Portulaca Purpilopilis
and the Purple Adventure Goggles
Facts to Wow your Friends!(Check out for April: Earth Day,Arbor Day, Oceans, Dirt, Shakespeare and Books!
(New: Sample Iditarod Webquest!)
History For Kids
Tween Tribune-News Stories for Student
DogoNews: Fodder for Young Minds
Time for Kids-Around the World
BBC Website for Kids
Valentine's Day Webquest
Gail Skroback Hennessey
Valentine's Day is February 14th. The symbol of the holiday is a heart. What do you know about the human heart and the Valentine's Day holiday? Grab a red pencil and use this web quest tofind out some very interesting facts about the human heart and the holiday of Valentine's Day!
1. In a lifetime, about how many beats can a person's heart beat?_________________ What was Dr. Christopher Barnard, the first to successfully do, in 1967?____________________ The ancient Egyptians believed the heart was the center of what two things? _________________and ______________What is the only part of the body that does not get blood?______________________ Find the answers at this link:http://www.coolkidfacts.com/facts-about-the-heart-for-kids/
2. There are FOUR parts of the heart. There are two____________and two _______________ compartments. Which have the oxygen filled red blood?___________________ Which has the purplish-blue blood (lacking oxygen) which is returning to the heart?______________What is the size of the average heart? ______________
Find the answers at this link: http://sciencewithkids.com/science-facts/heart-facts-for-kids.html
3. The ___________ carries the blood back to the heart and the _________carries blood from the heart to the body.Which part of the body protects the heart from injury? _________________ Find the answers at this link:http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/humanbody/heart.html
4. The heart is not actually located on the left side of the body. Where is it actually found and between which two organs?____________________________________During the average lifetime, about how many barrels of blood will be pumped?____________________ Find the answers at this link:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/heart/heartfacts.html
All things RED!
Test you "RED" Knowledge:
1. Name a jewel that is the color red:__________________________
2. Who is the famouscartoon dog?___________________________
3. A story about a girl and a wolf: _____________________________
4. Name a traffic sign which is red: ___________________________
5. Name a red bird: _______________________________________
6. Name a red insect: _____________________________________
7. Name two red fruits: ______________________________________
The capillaries are so tiny, it would take 10 human hairs to show their thickness.
Think garden hosewhich is the width of theaorta, the largest artery in your body.
The ancient Egyptians believed the heart was the center of intelligence and caring.
People used to believe that your heart stopped when you sneezed. That's why people started saying "bless you". Actually, the heart does NOT stop. It just isn't pumping blood as well.
Each day, your heart beats about 100,000 times.
Your body has about six quarts of blood which circulate through the body THREE times in ONE minute.
The heart is a MUSCLE.
There are 13 fun Facts.
Before doing the activity, ask the students to share any prior knowledge they might have about the heart and the history of Valentine's Day.
Have students do the web quest and "All Things Red" in small groups. Then, as a class discuss the activity.
Discuss Fact and Opinion and have the small groups of students make up a 7 Fact/Opinion review on information learned in the activity to exchange with another group to complete.
I have also made an all black ink version.